Thursday, December 06, 2007

to keep clean

Almost three weeks back, I was passing Nicco Park to reach my office. I discovered an unbearable stench coming from a stretch just after the entertainment park (for those who are guessing, Nicco Park is the entertainment park). I found that the stench is emanating from a stray dog that has 'passed away', maybe a good few hours before… made me ponder over the fact that "theirs is a dog's life" and hoped the body will be removed soon by Nabadigonto (responsible for cleaning and beautification of the roads).

Two weeks passed, the body still lay there unattended!! The body had become dry and almost half the actual size, though the silver lining (if you see any!) was… even the smell had dried. The cars whizzed past, not bothered (as they had not been bothered the last time, when a young engineer died on the same road… unattended… after a bike accident), not too many people walked in the nearby areas, and the nearby traffic policeman seemed to busy with his own duty. I felt that the Naba (Nabadigonto, casually) guys in the nearby area need to be told that planting trees and cutting grass isnt the only beautification job possible.

I started by nagging two policeman in a nearby check post and asked them to own the added responsibility and let the Naba guys know about the carcass they have failed to clear till then. It went for two days… needless to say - without any result. Then I walked along the stretch of our office to find a Naba guy working on beautification. Asked him to let his colleagues know about the body merely a 100 m from there; he also promised me the contact number of Naba; but, never got to see him since.

However, the last few days, the body is not there… maybe my nagging has worked… maybe they have found their mistake. Better Late Than Never… B.U.T. another dog seemed to have given up its life for the sake of 'dog'kind probably expecting a better treatment this time. I also hope the same and if this does not happen, I may have to get down on the roads this time as well. Or, may be, a few more associates take it up on themselves to get rid of the mess.

Whatever happens, we need to take a little more onto ourselves to ensure a clean and green ambience, and I believe that we have still not started.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Pritam,

This is highly appreciated. Its a pitty that inspite of all your efforts the the city refuses to change. I think we all should follow your footsteps to make it happen.

I don't agree to you on one point though - both the bodies are still decaying and from my past experience, I can assure you that this'll go on for another 2 weeks, atleast.

Anonymous said...

this is a very common thing to happen in every locality in kolkata! municipality is totally careless and nobody does their job well. hence, we, the common people should take added responsibility to notify (read nag) them about what's happenning in our society.
kudos to u as u did that well!

Abhishek Rathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abhishek Rathi said...

Avi,

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - M.K.Gandhi

Thats exactly you did. Thanks for inspiring us. Most of the time, we find excuses and tend to forget the above saying. Once again thanks for reminding the fact - If we want we can make this world a better place for EVERYBODY.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bhai,

Very interesting article....helps to keep us grounded with the immense problems we are facing and the need for all residents to keep vigil. Your article also proves that we can make a difference if we persevere at our efforts to move the incompetent authorities into action.

Keep up the good work.

cheers,
Satyajit

Anonymous said...

if we all do such things ....life will be much better than what it is today...
a small thing can make a big change

The Cheshire Cat said...

pocha

Running through my old email ( I rarely check yahoo , add my gmail ) , I found this post from you .

What to say ? Apart from you did the right thing . Look , its always about us and ourselves . Just go on doing the good bit u can . slowly , but surely things will change , lets not analyze the fault
but the correction methodology and speed it up by manual effort if the need may be .

fundoo inspiring work , kudos!!

Prasun

Unknown said...

Its amazing to know this part of yours....GREAT!!
And here I see the irony of the life.The life we live or want to live,wont allow us to be so social so that we can impact the lives around us..even if we think about it.!!!!

Sun, Sand, and Sea

Getting back to my readers after such a long gap…I’m feeling awesome actually. Life has been different and great at the same with lots o...